Holiday cooking can be fun if you combine your cooking skills with the right tools. Sometimes in the search for a specific cooking tool, you may buy several of the same item until you get the exact one that you can’t live without. I can save you some frustration if you follow my advice and pick up these great tried and tested tools for your kitchen. I have bought and thrown away other similar tools to get the ones that never fail me. Even though I could give you a long list of my gadgets and dozens of fun things I use in the kitchen, these are the ones I go for all of the time and find them to be the best of the best.
For my cookware, I am completely happy with All-Clad d5 Technology, which is made up of five layers-a stainless steel exterior, aluminum layer, thick copper core, aluminum layer, and stainless steel cooking surface. It is important to have both stainless steel surface and nonstick surface cookware since recipes can require different ways to cook. Even heat distribution makes cooking consistent.
Another addition to my collection: LeCreuset Cast-Iron Cookware and Stoneware. Many sizes and colors are available, but I prefer the Marseille Blue. This collection can go on for years.
Now for the knives. Run, don’t walk to pick up the fabulous German Wusthof knives. I prefer the Classic design, which is not even their most expensive. Then there are those specialty knives-cheese knife, parmesan knife, tomato knife, cheesecake slicer—so many knives, and yes, I use them all.
Ready for a few of my favorite, can’t-live-without kitchen items?
- Cuisinart Food Processor - It does everything! Chops, shreds, mixes, kneads dough, and on and on. Nesting bowls stack inside each other for storage. Cutting tools store in a safety container. Video and cookbook included. Love it!
- Vitamix Blender – Greatest invention! There is no end to this imaginative blender, complete with a cookbook and video. It makes everything from frozen desserts to piping hot soups. It even cleans itself. Sweet!
- Stainless Steel Triple Breading Trays - These are shallow trays are invaluable to use for mixing, dipping, and breading. Trays are perfect for recipes with multiple steps.
- Dual Magnetic Measuring Spoons - Spoons magnetically snap together so you never lose them. Each spoon has a narrow end for getting into small areas and a rounded end.
- Boos Block Board Cream - Keeps your wooden cutting boards in perfect condition. It beats anything I have ever tried.
- Chef’n Green Sleek Scrape Collapsible Scraper - Scoops so you don’t have to chase cut veggies and fruit all over the cutting board and collapses for easy storage.
- Kuhn Rikon 11-Inch Watermelon Knife - You’ll never fight with the watermelon again. Cuts perfectly! Also available, Melon Knife for cantaloupes with scoop on one end to get rid of seeds, equally fun.
- Frig Binz 14-Compartment Egg Holder with Lid - Stores and protects porous eggs from absorbing refrigerator odors.
- All-Clad Stainless Steel Measuring Cups - Sizes-1/4 C, 3/4 C, 1/3 C, 2/3 C, 1/2 C, 1 C, and 1-1/2 C. Wow! Can you believe it? I can measure my way through multiple recipes for one meal.
- Egg-Perfect Eggtimer - Place plastic tempered timer in the center of your pot of eggs while boiling. The timer lets you know when the eggs are ready by turning dark at the level of doneness you choose. Never mess up your hard boiled eggs again.
- Pancake Pen - Dispenses batter perfectly every time and is easy to fill and clean by openings at the fill end and the dispensing end. Throw away every other pancake dispenser. I have.
- Stainless Steel Soup Spoons - Hard-to-find traditional soup spoons with rounded basins. I have never come across such useful spoons before these.
- CHEFS Mesh Colander Set - Set of three sizes of stackable colanders. After every grocery shopping trip, they are heavily used to clean and drain fresh fruits and veggies.
- Thermapen Digital Thermometer - Registers exact temperature of meats while cooking. No more guess work or dried out meats from overcooking.
- Wellness Mat - Plush & cushioned kitchen floor mat that takes the pressure off your feet so you can cook for hours without getting tired. My Christmas present this year.
Enjoy cooking your way through the holidays! It’s the best time of the year.
Thought for Today:
“No one who cooks, cooks alone. Even at her most solitary, a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations of cooks past, the advice and menus of cooks present, the wisdom of cookbook writers.”